We are so proud to have Kalina represent Northlake as our member of the month. She works so hard, and her results have been amazing to watch. What we love about Kalina is her constant drive and the way that she encourages everyone around her. Keep up the great work Kalina, we are so glad you are a part of our community here at Northlake!
1: Where are you from originally?
I am a Hawaiian who was born and raised in Maine
2. What is your favorite WOD/movement?
I like box jumps, cleans and double unders
3. What is your least favorite WOD/ Movement?
Wall Balls and Thrusters—even worse than burpees—but the WORST combination are Thrusters and Burpees.
4. What were you doing before CrossFit? How did you hear about CrossFit and/ CrossFit Northlake?
I was going to Fitness Connection 4-5 times a week but feeling uninspired. I had recently committed myself to be more active in races and signed up for the Spartan Race. I had read some tips about the Spartan Race and a lot of reviews said that people who did CrossFit tended to do well in these races. I did a quick search and found CFN wasn’t too far from my house. I had a speedy response from Jason and I completed my intro and foundation classes within a week. Seeing the atmosphere and great coaching during some observation, I knew it was going to be a great place. I signed up for a 6 month membership because that would get me through my Spartan Race in March and then my plan was to stop CrossFit. After the first week, I knew I wouldn’t be stopping. I drank the Kool-Aid.
5. What other sports or activities do you participate in as a family besides CrossFit?
We like to go on bike rides and to the park—my kids (Ages 3 and 5) go to swimming lessons on the weekend. Otherwise, the week is so hectic we like to unwind during the weekend. We have also started running to train for upcoming races.
6. How many times per week do you CrossFit?
5 times a week plus I have recently added an endurance class on Monday and I run on Saturdays—I know—JB keeps telling me I need a rest day.
7. What is your athletic background?
I was a jock in high school and played soccer, basketball and softball…I continued with softball in college. Since moving to NC I tried to stay active in team sports and have played on flag football and softball teams—I have always loved to play any sport…except Golf…too frustrating.
8. Give us some insight as to your thoughts after your first workout at CrossFit Northlake.
- – During the entire workout I kept thinking to myself “I hate this, I hate this, I hate this…” after the work out I said “I LOVE THIS!”
9. Do you have any special or favorite CrossFit Northlake memories/moments?
One of the best moments that I have had was being able to do my first pull up which I hadn’t been able to do since high school! I never thought I would be able to again. Other memorable moments: Being selected member of the month!!!!! I am so appreciative beyond words as I know there are so many members who are deserving. My first Rx workout that involved 40 burpee pull ups that Amber Miller and Scott Best encouraged me to do (THANKS) and my first rope climb! Participating in the CrossFit Open was memorable even though I couldn’t complete a lot of the movements—looking forward to seeing how I do next year. Actually, most workouts I feel like I have accomplished something new—which makes almost every day at the box memorable. I especially look forward to CrossFit every morning to see the friends I have made who motivate me to push myself.
10. What advice would you give to a newbie or someone just joining CrossFit Northlake?
- – Give it a week and you will be hooked—that is if you aren’t hooked after the first day!
- Don’t feel intimidated because everything can be scaled and everyone is supportive.
- CrossFit is great because there are so many ‘weaknesses’ that you can work on that it always stays interesting!
- Compete against yourself and try to be better than you were the day before. Although I must admit—Ashley Adams pushes me to try not to be lapped by her when there is running involved.
- If you are like me and get hooked on CrossFit, get a big bag so you can fit all of your gear in it (because you will want one of everything)
11. What is your eating style? I try to eat Paleo about 80% of the time. If not strict Paleo I try to eat clean—except on Fridays we have Family Chick-Fil-A dates.
12. What kind of results have you seen since starting at CrossFit Northlake
Since starting my fitness journey in August 2013, I have lost over 25 pounds. About half of them after starting CrossFit. I have been paying less attention to the scale now and paying more attention to the inches that I have lost and how my clothes are fitting. I have gotten so much stronger than I thought I was capable of and have done things I never imagined possible. Most of all I have not felt better about myself in a long time.
13. What do you do for a living?
I am a Physical Therapist and Area Rehab Manager for a therapy company.
14. What drive you to be an active family?
Our children drive us to be an active family. I am still trying to convince my husband to join, but he likes his own workout regimen. We want to set a good example of health for them—there is a history of obesity in my family and I want to break that history.